
Wow! Today I figured out a way to maximize what mother nature has to offer this winter, what with not really recognizing this as a true winter and all, and I was offered a glimpse of the
Deer's-eye view of the world and life. So here's what I saw.... .
Life's trail, for a deer, moves ever onward -
over, through, under, around. Not too much gets in the way of the deer, not enough to stop the deer. No, the deer moves ever onward, despite what it finds in its path.
And the thing that I liked best about the deer's trail was that it was
hardly ever straight! It curved and meandered, criss-crossed and doubled back, leaped over, or ducked below... Just the thing for a curious explorer, looking for new insight around every corner.

So, with weather that vacillates between being way too warm to keep snow around, or maybe even rainy, or frigid cold, creating icy conditions everywhere, I know it's enough to keep any true Minnesota outdoorsperson in a constant state of confusion, and at a loss for what to do - unable to cross-country ski or snowshoe. So, rather than be frustrated or thwarted by this weather, though, I invite you to do as I did today, and look the fog in the proverbial eye, and challenged yourself to go out and find some peace and some fun, which I always look for in the beauty of Nature.

That is how I discovered this new winter 2012-specific sport, that I choose to name
"Deer Trekking." Right away I found myself detouring from the regular trail, to follow the deer path that caught my eye. That's what I like so much about Autumn/Winter - they give me a chance to see the world from a different perspective, through the trees and underbrush, across the semi-frozen marsh and river, exploring areas of my park that I can't usually get to. For instance, this deer trail that my curiosity brought me onto today, is something I most likely would not even have seen during the rest of the green year, and would have a hard
negotiating the trail even if I did see it, due to dense underbrush. So, you see, even the most challenging of conditions - even if it's just lack of decent, snowy winter weather - can draw you into a frame of mind that allows you to
see things from a new perspective. Just like the ordinary or extraordinary challenges we come up against in the course of our days are really just opportunities for us to see something we never noticed before, or respond to circumstances a bit differently. I love the challenge of a
fresh vantage point, no matter what brings that new perspective my way.
What could you do to pursue a path that would offer new perspective?
What do you wish you had a new perspective on?
How would that issue look to you from the perspective of some other person or vantage point?
Enjoy the exploration!
No comments:
Post a Comment