Monday, December 5, 2011

Snowy Sensations

There once was a song, ..."there's a kind of hush all over the world tonight..."  That's what struck me with a  soft-powder punch this past weekend. What a peaceful flutter of snow drifting down, ... at least from the inside of my window.  When the snow started I was not at home, and a bit apprehensive about the drive home in the snow. But the moment I got to my car, of course blanketed under the first inch or two of snow, (and I, without my snow brush), I began to swipe away at the snow with the arm of my jacket. Magically, the little kid inside of me was released. Immediately I felt this bubble of anticipated 'fun' work its way up inside of me. The snow on my car was a wet snow - the kind perfect for making snowmen! Though I didn't have time to indulge that childhood fancy, that feeling of joy that comes with just thinking about it carried me all the way home with a huge smile on my face and a giddiness dancing in my heart. Then the next tiny miracle... as I approached where I live, I noticed that I had to turn off my windshield wipers, because the snow had become so much drier - just a soft, fine powder drifting down. I felt this transformation in my very being, as I, too began to feel like I was drifting lazily in a warm blanket of snow, in awe of the way it sprinkled the world with purity. Sitting inside my home, looking out at the winter wonderland, there was this peace and joy and warm cozy feeling filling my spirit. I think this is the Advent feeling ... the season of peace and joy that expands our hearts outward, inspired to sprinkle comfort, joy, and peace to the world around us, in the spirit of holiday generosity. These quiet moments of contemplating the snow bring a gift, allowing me to center myself in a sense of wonder and awe, and awaken the Christmas spirit for giving and receiving love. It is a time to anticipate the many miracles of this time of year, yet to come.


When you contemplate the beauty of the snow, what does it awaken in you?


What is one of your special triggers for the feeling of the season's cheer and meaning for you?





No comments:

Post a Comment